“back and forth”是什麼意思?
英語中有一個很常見的詞組“back and forth”,它是什麼意思呢?可千萬不要把forth和fourth搞混了。看看《我們這一天》的這個片段吧。
對話原文
I have a cat.
我有一隻貓
It's all I really have.
它是我的唯一了
His name's Clooney.
它叫克魯尼
One of those ironic names, 'cause he's a pretty ugly cat.
挺諷刺的名字 因爲它很醜
I go back and forth to feed him.
我來回跑是爲了餵它
Three hours on the bus each day.
每天坐三個小時大巴
Why wouldn't you just tell us you had a cat?
你爲什麼不直接跟我們說你你有隻貓
The little one has asthma
你們小女兒有哮喘
and I knew if I brought up the cat,
我知道如果我說了貓的事
you'd tell me to bring it,
你們會讓我帶它來
that would cause problems.
這樣就會添麻煩
And I don't want to cause any problems,
但我不想給你們添麻煩
'cause if I cause problems, I'd have to leave.
因爲添了麻煩我就得走
And...
但...
and I don't want to leave.
但我不想走
Six months ago, some doctor told me I had three to live.
六個月前 醫生告訴我我還有三個月時間
But for some reason, I don't feel so bad lately.
但不知怎麼的 最近我沒那麼難受了
Maybe to do with this house.
也許是因爲這個家
I don't know.
我不知道
Truth is, I'd never thought
說實話 我從未想過
I'd have anything to care about again
我的生命中 除了那隻醜貓
besides an ugly cat, so...
還會有其他值得在乎的東西 所以...
今日重點:
諷刺的:ironic。名詞形式irony,意思是“反諷”
及其:pretty。這個詞也可做形容詞,表示“漂亮的”
來回地:back and forth。forth表示“向前”,而fourth是“第四”
哮喘:asthma
提出:bring up
某個的:“some doctor”可以看到doctor沒有加-s,是因爲some在這裏表示“某個”,而不是“一些”
與……有關:to do with sth