The english we speak(BBC教學)第70期: things are looking up一切欣欣向榮
Chris: Hi, I'm Chris, and welcome to The English We Speak. It's a nice day here in London, so I've come outside to meet Helen. Ah, there she is! Helen, how are you?
克里斯:大家好,我是克里斯,歡迎來到我們所説的英語。今天倫敦是個好天氣,所以我和海倫來外面見面。啊,她在那裏!海倫,你好嗎?Helen: I'm... fine... thanks.
海倫:我,很好,謝謝。Chris: What are you doing? What are you looking at?
克里斯:你在幹什麼?你在看什麼?
Helen: I'm looking up.
海倫:我在向上看。Chris: R-Right. But I can't see anything.
克里斯:好吧,但是我什麼也看不到。Helen: Neither can I.
海倫:我也是。Chris: Have you seen an aeroplane or something?
克里斯:你看到飛機或什麼其他的了嗎?Helen: Not sure...
海倫:不確定...Chris: Maybe a bird?
克里斯:或許一隻鳥?Helen: Well, apparently things are looking up.
海倫:顯然一切都向上看。Chris: Things are looking up?
克里斯:一切都向上看?Helen: Yes, Rosie told me that the weather has been sunny for the last three days, so things are looking up. I thought I'd come and see for myself... But there's not much going on to be honest.
海倫:是的,羅西告訴我最後三天天氣晴朗,所以一切都向上看。我覺得我得來自己看一看。但是説實話沒有什麼發生。Chris: Ah, I think you've misunderstood. Rosie didn't mean there are things up in the sky.
克里斯:啊,我覺得你誤解了。羅西的意思不是天空中有事發生。Helen: Really? What do you mean?
海倫:真的嗎?什麼意思?Chris: It's an expression. You use the phrase 'things are looking up' when you want to suggest that conditions are getting better or more positive.
克里斯:這是個短語。當你想要表達情況正在好轉或向積極的方向發展,你可以用“一切欣欣向榮”這個短語。Helen: Oh, right...
海倫:哦,好吧。Chris: Here are some examples:
克里斯:以下是一些例子:My wife and I both found great new jobs last month, so things are looking up.
我的妻子和我上個月都找到了好的新工作,所以一切都欣欣向榮。Things are finally looking up now that he's recovered from his illness.
事情現在終於好轉了,他的病痊癒了。Helen: So when Rosie told me that things were looking up, she meant that the weather has been getting better at the moment.
海倫:所以當羅西告訴我事情欣欣向榮,她的意思是天氣當時正在好轉。Chris: Yes, she's suggesting that it looks like the weather in general is improving. So what do you think? Do you think the weather is getting better?
克里斯:是的,她的意思是看起來天氣大體上在改善。那麼你覺得呢?你覺得天氣在好轉嗎?Helen: So far, yes, yesterday was really hot. I hope it lasts for the weekend… But if things get worse, would you say, 'things are looking down'?
海倫:到目前為止,是的,昨天特別熱。我希望一直延續到週末。但是如果情況變壞,你會説“事情正在向下”嗎?Chris: Not really. Instead, you could say: "It's taken a turn for the worse".
克里斯:不會的。相反,你可以説:“我正在轉向壞的方向。”Helen: It's taken a turn for the worse. That's a useful phrase.
海倫:轉向壞的方向。這是個很有用的短語。Chris: Oh, but hang on... look at that black cloud in the sky. It looks like it might rain after all. That's typical English weather!
克里斯:哦,但是等一下。看天空中那朵黑雲。它看起來好像要下雨了。這是典型的英國天氣!Helen: Oh great. Things really have taken a turn for the worse! Quick, let's get back to the office before it rains.
海倫:哦太好了。事情真的轉向壞的方向了!快,我們在下雨前回到辦公室去。Chris: Let's go! Do join us again for another edition of The English We Speak and visit our website, . Bye!
克里斯:我們走!一定要再次加入我們獲取其他版本的我們所説的英語,並訪問我們的網站,。再見!Helen: Bye!
海倫:再見!