The english we speak(BBC教学)第141期:Bounce 离开
William: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak. My name is William Kremer.
威廉:大家好,欢迎收听地道英语节目。我是威廉·克莱默。Li: I'm Yang Li.
莉:我是杨莉。William: Li, do you mind if we don't look at a phrase today?
威廉:莉,我们今天不学习短语,你介意吗?
Li: Don't look at a phrase? So what do you want to do today instead?
莉:不学习短语?那你今天想做什么呢?William: Erm, nothing actually. I've got to go and meet a friend at the airport.
威廉:嗯,实际上也没什么。我要去机场接一个朋友。Li: So what are you saying, William? That you don't have time for today's programme?
莉:威廉,你在说什么?你没有时间主持今天的节目了吗?William: Is that all right?
威廉:这样行吗?Li: Oh well...
莉:哦……William: Well, thanks Li! I'm just going to bounce.
威廉:嗯,谢谢你,莉!我要离开了。Li: Hey, William, wait, wait! What do you mean? What did you say just now?
莉:嘿,威廉,等等!你是什么意思?你刚刚说了什么?William: I'm just going to bounce; I'm going to leave.
威廉:我要离开了;我要走了。Li: I think we need to hear another example of that phrase.
莉:我想我们需要听听这个短语的其他例子。Man: Hey Tom-where are you going? The party's just getting started!
男:嗨,汤姆,你要去哪啊?派对马上就要开始了!Man 2: Ah sorry dude, I gotta bounce. I'm on an early shift tomorrow.
男2:啊,抱歉,伙计,我要走了。我明天要上早班。Li: In that clip we heard someone saying he had to leave a party.
莉:刚刚我们听到一个人说他必须要从聚会上离开。William: Yes, that's right. He said "I gotta bounce".
威廉:对,没错。他说“我要离开了”。Li: To bounce usually means for something to go up and down. But where does this slang usage come from, William?
莉:bounce通常是指某个东西上下晃动。不过威廉,这个俚语来自哪里?William: Well, 'bounce' meaning 'to leave' comes from the USA and it's urban slang, so it's something that young cool kids might say.
威廉:bouce这个词的离开一意来自美国,这是一个城市俚语,这是一个很酷的孩子们会使用的词。Li: Not you, then.
莉:那就不是你用的词了。William: What do you mean?
威廉:你什么意思?Li: Well you're not young or cool. You are a middle-class Englishman in his thirties.
莉:嗯,你既不年轻也不酷。你是一个三十几岁的英国中产男子。William: Li, that's not fair! I listen to hip hop. And one of my jumpers has a hood.
威廉:莉,这不公平!我会听嘻哈乐。我还有一件带兜帽的毛衣呢。Li: Anyway, we have talked about a phrase now. So if you like, you can bounce now.
莉:不管怎么说,我们已经讲了一个短语。所以如果你愿意的话,那你现在就可以走了。William: Right. Bouncing.
威廉:好的。我走了。Li: Now that he's gone let's relax with some nice music...
莉:既然他已经离开了,我们来听一些优美的音乐放松一下……重点讲解:
1. all right
令人满意的;可接受的;
eg. Is it all right with you if we go now?
我们若现在就走,你同意吗?
eg. 'How was school?' — 'It was all right.'
“在学校还好吗?”——“还可以。”
2. up and down
上上下下;来来回回;
eg. He looked me up and down and then asked me a few questions.
他上下打量了我一番,然后问了我几个问题。
eg. He was worried about his mother and walked up and down in the room.
他为他母亲担心,便在屋里来回走。
3. now that
既然;由于;
eg. Now that everything is set up, it is time to see how much of a difference it makes.
既然一切都已就绪,现在可以观察它带来了多大的差别。
eg. Now that the bubble has popped, the question is what happens to all the excess housing.
既然地产泡沫已经破灭,那么接下来问题在于,过剩的房屋将何去何从。