一分钟英语 第161期:Straight from the Horse's Mouth
Welcome to English in a minute.
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》栏目!This American idiom is about getting your facts right.
这个美语俚语是指直接收到消息。Did you hear that rumor going around about Craig and Cheryl calling off their wedding?
你听说关于克莱和查理要取消婚礼的那个谣言了吗?
Yeah. I heard it straight from the horse's mouth.
我听说了。我是直接从当事人那里得到的消息。Craig told me he's calling off the wedding.
克莱告诉我他正在取消婚礼。I didn't want to ask too many questions, but it's true.
我不想问太多问题,但是这是真的。Do people really look into a horse's mouth for facts?
人们真的要从马嘴中寻找事实嘛?Straight from the horse's mouth means you got information about a situation directly from a person involved, and not through rumors.
Straight from the horse's mouth的意思是直接从当事人那里得到消息,而不是通过谣言。The saying comes from the fact that people can tell the true age of a horse by looking at the teeth in its mouth.
这个说法来源于人们可以通过观察马嘴中的牙齿,就可以知道马的年龄这一事实。So if you get your information straight from the horse's mouth, you have the truth!
因此当你直接从当事人那里得到消息时,那么你就是得到了事实!And that's English in a minute.
以上就是今天的《一分钟英语》栏目!