迷你對話學地道口語第2035期:貶得一文不值
情景對話:
A: You look miserable, Tom. What happened?
你看上去很沮喪,湯姆,怎麼了?
B: Mum, my composition was shot down in flames by our classmates.
媽媽,同學們把我的作文貶得一文不值。
A: Really? Let me read it. Maybe I can give you some advice. Cheer up, my dear.
真的?讓我看看,也許我能給你點建議。高興點,寶貝。
第一, 詞海拾貝
shoot down in flames
exp. To bring about someone or something's failure,ruin someone. (貶得一文不值,痛斥某人,駁倒,把某人整垮)
e.g. I thought I'd written a fine campaign speech but my team shot it down in flames.
我原以為我寫了一篇很好的競選演說,但我的團隊把它貶得一文不值。
e.g. I can't believe he shot me down in flames in front of the board of trustees!
我真不敢相信他在董事會面前痛斥我!
e.g. It was a bad idea, okay, but you didn't have to shoot me down in flames at the meeting.
那個注意不好,可以,但你沒必要在會上痛斥我呀。
第二, 語彙積累
1. give someone some advice:給某人提出建議
e.g. Can you give me some advice for my job interview?
你能給我一些關於工作面試的建議嗎?
e.g. I tried to give him some advice but he brushed all my suggestions to one side.
我試著給他提點建議,但他對我所有意見都置之不理。
e.g. Years ago you gave some advice on how to have a good marriage.
幾年前,你曾就如何擁有美滿的婚姻提出了一些看法。
2. cheer up:振作
e.g. Cheer up! Our troubles will soon be over.
振作起來!我們的困難很快就會過去。
e.g. Mrs. Gummidge did not appear to be able to cheer up.
格米治太太好象怎麼也鼓不起興致來。