The english we speak(BBC教學)第54期: not rocket science很簡單
Kaz: Hello, I'm Kaz.
卡茲:大家好,我是卡茲。
Yang Li: And I'm Yang Li. Hey Kaz, why are we listening to this rocket launch?
楊麗:我是楊麗。嘿卡茲,你爲什麼在聽這個火箭發射?Kaz: Well, it's dramatic, but there's another reason. I thought it could introduce today's expression.
卡茲:因爲它很激動人心,但是還有另一個原因。我覺得它可以引出今天的短語。
Yang Li: Tell me more.
楊麗:告訴我更多吧。Kaz: The expression is 'It's not rocket science'.
卡茲:短語是“這不是火箭科學”。Yang Li: 'It's not rocket science', meaning?
楊麗:“這不是火箭科學”意思是?Kaz: Something that's not complicated or difficult to understand - 'it's not rocket science'.
卡茲:某事並不複雜或很難理解——“這麼簡單的事情”。Yang Li: For example?
楊麗:比如?Kaz: OK. Somebody can't get the television to work and asks you, "How do I switch this thing on?" You would say "It's not rocket science. Just press 'on' on the handset".
卡茲:好的。某人不能打開電視機然後問你,“我怎麼打開這個?”你可以說“這麼簡單的事情。只要按一下遙控器的開鍵就行。”Yang Li: So there's nothing complicated about it. You just press the 'on' switch and away you go. But is the expression 'it's not rocket science' only used for gadgets?
楊麗:所以這並沒有什麼複雜的。你只是按了開鍵然後你就走了。但是“這麼簡單的事情”這個短語是不是隻用在小玩意上?Kaz: No, not at all, Li. In fact it's used for many situations that are just obvious... for example - why are we always short of money?
卡茲:不,並不是,麗。事實上它用在很多清楚明白的情境下...比如,爲什麼我們總是缺錢?Yang Li: Well, it's not rocket science Kaz - we don't get paid enough!
楊麗:這麼簡單的事情卡茲——我們的工資不夠多!Kaz: Brilliant Li. That's an excellent example.
卡茲:精彩麗。這是個完美的例子。Yang Li: Yes, I like it too. But let's listen to some more examples:
楊麗:是的,我也喜歡。但是讓我們來聽更多的例子:How do I cook this soup?
我應該怎樣煮這個湯?Come on Rob, it's not rocket science, all you have to do is open the tin and heat it up.
別這樣羅伯,這麼簡單的事情,你只需要打開罐頭然後加熱。I can't understand why our company is in such a mess?
我不能理解爲什麼我們的公司這麼混亂?It's not rocket science to figure that out - there are too many managers!
這麼容易理解的事情——有太多的經理了!Yang Li: OK Kaz, the phrase 'it's not rocket science' is used for situations that are obvious. But I get the feeling that the phrase 'it's not rocket science' is quite informal, right?
楊麗:好的卡茲,短語“這麼簡單的事情”用在非常明顯的情境下。但是我覺得“這並不是火箭科學”不太正式,是嗎?Kaz: You're right Li. So please use with care!
卡茲:你說得對麗。那麼請小心使用!Yang Li: Absolutely.
楊麗:當然了。Kaz: It's usually used with the negative 'It's not rocket science'.
卡茲:它通常情況下和否定一起用“這並不是火箭科學”。Yang Li: Well, I'm sure of one thing Kaz.
楊麗:我很確定一件事卡茲。Kaz: What's that Li?
卡茲:那是什麼麗?Yang Li: Presenting this programme is not exactly rocket science - it's easy!
楊麗:做這個節目並不是火箭科學——這很簡單!Both: Bye!
一起:再見!