當前位置

首頁 > 口語英語 > 實用生活英語口語 > VOA流行美語 Unit 356:全力以赴&出點子

VOA流行美語 Unit 356:全力以赴&出點子

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 6.7K 次

Larry和李華一起過美國獨立日。今天我們要學兩個常用語:go all outgive someone some pointers.

padding-bottom: 125%;">VOA流行美語 Unit 356:全力以赴&出點子

LH: Larry, 看你這身打扮,紅上衣,白短褲,籃襪子,再加上這頂美國國旗圖案的帽子,你簡直就是一面大星條旗!

L: Thanks, Lihua. You know that it's Independence Day, so I wanted to dress up for the occasion.

LH: 你還在臉上畫了一面國旗?!這是不是有點過頭了?

L: Well Lihua, I just love the Fourth of July, so I wanted to go all out.

LH: go out? 出去玩就出去玩吧,幹嘛還要go ALL out? 這是什麼意思?

L: When you go all out, you make the biggest effort possible.

LH: 哦,go all out就是全力以赴的意思。你是說,你特別喜歡7月4號獨立日,所以一到這一天,你就要加勁兒地打扮!

L: Right! Here is another example. There is a really important project due for work this Friday, so everyone at the office is going all out this week.

LH: 哦,你們公司這星期五必須做完一個非常重要的項目,所以同事們這個禮拜都開足馬力工作!對了,Larry, 今天晚上是不是能看到煙火表演啊?

L: Yeah, usually the fireworks are really good. Washington DC really goes all out for the fireworks show.

LH: 對,每年獨立日,首都華盛頓都會傾盡全力辦一場大型煙火表演!不過,Larry, 說實話,美國獨立日的煙火真比不上北京奧運會開幕式的煙花。

L: Well that's true. China really went all out for the Olympics, so the fireworks display in Beijing was really amazing.

LH: 那Larry, 美國人在獨立紀念日這一天,都喜歡做些什麼呢?

L: Most people like to barbeque on Independence Day.

LH: 燒烤?我喜歡!我們今天也要去燒烤麼?

L: Oh yeah, we're going all out. I bought so much delicious food that it's going to take us a week to finish it all!

LH: 太好了,咱們要甩開腮幫子大吃一頓!等等,咱們沒有燒烤架啊!

L: No problem, I went to the store yesterday and got a fancy new grill.

LH: 你專門買了一個燒烤架?

L: Yeah, I went all out and bought the nicest grill they had.

LH: 你這次荷包大出血,買了最棒的燒烤架? 太好了!咱們現在就開始準備烤肉吧!

L: Sounds good!

******

晚上,Larry和李華一起來到華盛頓市中心,觀看煙火表演。

LH: Larry, 這煙火挺漂亮的。不過,我總覺得自己去放花更過癮!

L: I guess that's true, but it's dangerous.

LH: Larry, 你別怕,我可是放花的專家!明年咱們不來這裏看了,自己在後院放!

L: Well alright. If you're really a fireworks expert, next year we can do them at home and you can give me some pointers.

LH: I can give you some pointers? 這是什麼意思?

L: When you give someone some pointers, you give him or her small pieces of advice.

LH: 哦,give someone some pointers就是給人出些點子。你是說,明年咱們自己放花時,讓我教教你。

L: Exactly! Here is another example. Eric really wanted to join the soccer team at school, so he found a coach to give him some pointers before the tryouts.

LH: Eric想加入學校足球隊,所以在參加選拔之前,找了一個教練,指點指點他。 Larry, 我有點餓了。

L: Should we go to a restaurant?

LH: 不用了。你看,那邊不是有個賣熱狗的攤子麼?咱們去買個熱狗吧!

L: Let me give you a pointer, Lihua. Never eat street vendor food!

LH: 這倒是,街邊的東西可能不乾淨。咱們還是坐地鐵去個正經飯館吃吧。

L: Here's another pointer for you, Lihua. The metro will be really crowded tonight, so it will actually be faster to walk to the restaurant.

LH: 對,今天這麼多人來看煙火,地鐵上肯定擠死了。

L: But Lihua, how can you possibly be hungry after we went all out on that barbeque just a few hours ago.

LH: Larry, I'm going to give you a quick pointer: 不要小看我的飯量!

今天李華學了兩個常用語。一個是go all out表示全力以赴。另一是give someone some pointers, 意思是點撥,出點子