當前位置

首頁 > 口語英語 > 英語突破情景對話 > 迷你對話學地道口語第229期:使某人失望

迷你對話學地道口語第229期:使某人失望

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 3.07W 次

迷你對話:

padding-bottom: 133.33%;">迷你對話學地道口語第229期:使某人失望

A: That’s really a let-down.

那可真令人失望。

B: Yeah. He really does let me down.

是的,他確實讓我失望。

A: But that should not be the reason for you to lose heart.

但是這不應該成爲你灰心的理由。

B: I’m at the end of tether. I run out of ideas.

我再沒有精力了,我已經無計可施了。

地道表達:

let someone down

解詞釋義:

let someone down與“make somebody disappointed”的意思一樣,都是“使某人失望”。有點場合使用的區別,就是let sb down在口語實用頻率更高。

拓展講解:

let down用連字符將它們組合在一起,就變了名詞let-down。這在對話中的第一句就可以看到。

支持範例:

I don't see that you let him down in any way.

我看這沒有什麼對不起人的地方。

Her tense face told me that we had let him down hard.

她緊張的面色告訴我們這次我們可大大地辜負了他了。

You don't expect him to let you down.

你不希望他拆你的臺。

You can believe in him and he will never let you down.

你可信任他,他決不會使你失望。

詞海拾貝:

1. lose heart:失去勇氣,喪失信心,灰心喪氣

Eg. Although he ran up against many difficulties, he did not lose heart.

雖然他碰到了許多困難,但他並不氣餒。

Eg. Although he failed in this entrance examination, he didn't lose heart.

這次入學考試他雖名落孫山, 但他並不氣餒。

Eg. We shouldn' t lose heart. We may have another try.

我們不應該灰心,我們可以再試一次。

Eg. You mustn't lose heart, sooner or later your effort will pay off.

你千萬不要泄氣,遲早你的付出會有回報的。

2. at the end of tether:窮途末路;智窮技竭;(力量、智慧、忍耐等) 已至最大限度

Eg. I'm at the end of my tether. I shall go mad if this goes on.

我已經走投無路。再這麼下去,我會發瘋的。

Eg. We saw that she had been at the end of her tether, and sent her away for a holiday.

我們見她已筋疲力竭了,便送她外出休假。

Eg. I've been looking after four young children all day and I really am at the end of my tether!

我整天都在照料四個小孩, 確實已筋疲力盡了!

Eg. Drought-stricken farmers are all at the end of their tether.

受乾旱打擊的農民忍無可忍了。

3. run out of:用完,耗盡

Eg. The hotel has run out of beer.

飯店的啤酒已全部售完了。

Eg. What will happen when Medicare and Social Security run out of money?

當醫療基金和社會保障基金用盡時又該怎麼辦?

Eg. You go on. I'm afraid I can't climb to the top, I've run out of steam.

你繼續爬吧,我恐怕爬不頂,我已經沒力氣了。

Eg. We have run out of our conversations.

我們談得無話可談。