美語情景對話 第326期:California Guy 來自加州的男人
Todd: OK. Hello! Could you introduce yourself please?
託德:好。你好!請介紹一下自己好嗎?Conrad: Yes! I'm Conrad Matsumoto. I'm from California like you, Todd. And now I'm living in Japan. I've been here about seven years.
康拉德:好的!我叫康拉德·松本。託德,我和你一樣來自加利福尼亞。現在我住在日本。我來這裏有七年了。Todd: Wow! Seven years!
託德:哇!七年!
Conrad: Well, maybe six.
康拉德:嗯,也許是六年。Todd: Six.
託德:六年。Conrad: Yeah.
康拉德:對。Todd: It goes by fast, huh?
託德:時間過得真快,對吧?Conrad: It does, doesn't it?
康拉德:的確是,不是嗎?Todd: Yeah. Where are you from in California?
託德:是啊。你來自加州的哪裏?Conrad: Northern California. Uh, Stockton to be exact.
康拉德:我來自北加州,準確的說是斯托克頓市。Todd: Oh, wow!
託德:哦,哇!Conrad: Yeah!
康拉德:嗯!Todd: That's pretty hot.
託德:那裏非常熱。Conrad: Yeah, it gets very hot, but, um, it's more comfortable than Japan cause it's dry heat. Yeah, I know, I miss that dry heat.
康拉德:沒錯,那裏非常熱,不過,那裏還是比日本要舒服得多,因爲那裏是乾熱。沒錯,我想我很想念那種乾熱的感覺。Todd: Why don't you tell everyone about your family?
託德:你爲什麼不跟大家說說你的家庭呢?Conrad: OK. Well, let's see, my older brother and younger brother, they're both married back in California. My parents are still fine. Yeah, and I'm still single.
康拉德:好的。我想想啊,我有一個哥哥和一個弟弟,他們都已經在加州結婚了。我父母身體不錯。我還是單身。Todd: 're still single?
託德:你……你還是單身嗎?Conrad: Yeah, I am the only one.
康拉德:對,我是家裏唯一沒結婚的孩子。Todd: Yeah! Do you think you'll be single forever?
託德:嗯!你認爲你會永遠單身嗎?Conrad: Not forever. But I have no immediate plans to be married.
康拉德:不會永遠。不過我並沒有馬上結婚的計劃。Todd: Uh-huh. Yeah, I'm kind of on the same way.
託德:啊哈。我和你的情況差不多。Conrad: Yeah!
康拉德:嗯!Todd: We're poor English teachers. We don't have any money!
託德:我們都是貧窮的英語老師。我們都沒有錢!Conrad: That's right.
康拉德:沒錯。Todd: OK. Thanks a lot, Conrad.
託德:好。康拉德,非常謝謝你。Conrad: Sure.
康拉德:不客氣。重點講解:
1. go by
(時間)流逝,過去;
eg. My grandmother was becoming more and more sad and frail as the years went by.
隨着時間的流逝,我的祖母變得日益傷感和虛弱。
eg. The excitement died down as time went by.
隨着時間的推移,激動的心情逐漸平靜下來。
2. back in
(表示描述場所的轉換)在曾提到過的地方;以前;過去;追溯至;
eg. Meanwhile, back in London, Palace Pictures was collapsing.
與此同時,倫敦的皇宮影業公司也正在分崩離析。
eg. The story starts back in 1950, when I was five.
故事可以追溯到1950年,那時我才5歲。
3. kind of
稍微;有幾分;有點兒;
eg. `Is she interested?' `Well, kind of.'
"她感興趣嗎?"“嗯,有點兒”
He was kind of a fool.
他有點兒傻。