當前位置

首頁 > 口語英語 > 實用生活英語口語 > 學英語不可不知的習語

學英語不可不知的習語

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 1.13W 次

學英語不可不知的習語


Misery loves company :同病相憐

Misery loves company的意思是同病相憐,比喻因有同樣的遭遇或痛苦而互相同情.或者因爲自己不開心或痛苦,也不想其他人好過.

A: Why is Linda criticizing everybody today?

爲什麼今天琳達批評所有人?

B: Her boss criticized her this morning, and misery loves company.

今天早上她上司批了她一頓,她也不想別人好過.




stand a chance:有可能,有希望

stand a chance 是指有可能,有希望;stand a chance (of doing something)是指做某事有可能做成,有可能成功.通常用在否定的形式(not stand a chance)

His opponent did not stand a chance.
他的對手毫無取勝的機會

I don't think they stand a chance of winning.
我看他們沒有獲勝的希望.

Do you think I stand a chance of winning first place?
你認爲我有希望拿第一嗎?

Everyone stands a chance of catching the disease.
每個人都有可能得這種病.




nice try:想得美

表面上好像是在誇別人'做得好、乾的漂亮',而多數情況下意思是'想得美、得了吧',是一種反諷.

另外,當別人很努力做某事卻失敗的時候,你也可以拍拍肩膀對他說Nice try,這時就有鼓勵、安慰的意思了.所以大家要把握好說話的語境.

Nice try. I wasn't born yesterday, you know.
想得美,我又不是三歲小孩兒.




clear the air:澄清事實,消除誤會,消除緊張(或誤解、疑慮、擔憂等)氣氛.

Although I'm still upset with Jenny for what she did, I plan to call her and clear the air.

雖然我還是對Jenny說的話耿耿於懷,但我還是決定打電話給她解除誤會.

All right, let's discuss this frankly. It'll be better if we clear the air.

好吧,我們都說實話.把事情講清楚會更好.

If we want to keep this customer, we must have a meeting to clear the air about the recent customer complaints.

如果我們要留住這個客戶,我們必須約他們面談,澄清誤會,解決近期出現的客戶投訴問題.





lose one's mind的意思是抓狂、發瘋、失去理智,常見的有lose my mind,lose your mind等等.

Taking a child on a motorbike without a helmet! Have you completely lost your mind?

摩托車帶孩子卻不帶頭盔,你是不是瘋了?

Do you lose your mind? You want to marry that guy?
你一定是昏了頭吧?你想嫁給那個傢伙?

The stress of this movie is making me feel like i'm losing my mind.

這部電影給我的壓力使我抓狂.

He was not the only prisoner to lose his mind.

他不是唯一一個失去理智的囚犯.




get/have cold feet

to suddenly become nervous about doing something that you had planned to do 臨陣膽怯:畏縮

He was going to ask her but he got cold feet and said nothing.

他本來是想向她提出邀請的,可事到臨頭他卻膽怯得什麼也沒有說.




not sleep a wink:一點兒都沒睡,根本沒睡

sleep a wink的意思是睡一會兒,打個盹兒[用於否定句、條件句或疑問句.

not sleep a wink意思是一點兒都沒睡,根本沒睡.與not get a wink of sleep同意.

I was so excited last night - I didn't sleep a wink.

我昨晚興奮得一晚沒睡.

I can't stand Dad's snoring anymore, mom. I didn't sleep a wink last night.

媽,我再也忍受不了老爸的鼾聲了.我昨晚整夜都沒合上眼.




no strings (attached):無附加條件,不求回報

1.無附帶條件,無限制,不求回報

It is ok, I will do you a strings attached!

沒事兒,我會幫你,不圖回報!

I got a loan of £3000 with no strings attached .

我得到了一筆3000英鎊的貸款,無任何附加條件.

2.有對象了,但還與別人約會;曖昧關係

Having regular, no-strings-attached sex with someone you're not romantically involved with has become such a cultural phenomenon that it's acquired a name --"friends with benefits."




a big fan of 意思是非常喜歡...;是...的迷

今後如果要表達很喜歡什麼東西,就可以不用like sth very much了.

I'm a big fan of rock music!

我是一個搖滾樂迷!

My parents are Italians. So I am a big fan of pizza.

我的父母是意大利人,所以我很喜歡披薩.

Mr Crist is known to be a big fan of alternative energy.

克萊斯特由於熱衷於可替代能源而被大家所知.

My grandfather is a big fan of tea.

我的爺爺很愛喝茶.




tangle with:與...爭吵;與某人廝混

1. 與某人爭吵;與某人發生糾紛;與某人發生衝突

I don't want to tangle with city hall.

我不想和政府發生糾紛.

Martin tangled with her over the question.

馬丁和她在那個問題上發生爭執. 

2. 與某人廝混

He has been tangling with some rough boys.

他和幾個野孩子在一起鬼混.

另外,tangle with someone or something (over someone or something),加了over,意思是關於某人某事發生爭執、糾紛或爭吵.

Jimmy tangled with Kate over the children.

吉米因爲孩子的問題和凱特發生了糾紛.

I hope I don't have to tangle with the bank over this loan.

我不想因爲貸款和銀行發生糾紛.